DFER News Round Up
February 22, 2013
By Devin Boyle, Director of Communications
DFER Seen & Heard:
- Teachers in NY ask Albany to intervene in stalled negotiations between UFT and NYC Schools. (Village Voice)
- VIDEO | Derrell Bradford of Better Education for Kids gives nod to DFER IL on MSNBC’s Up w/Chris Hayes (at about 2 min 48 sec).
- DFER TN, StudentsFirst TN, Stand for Children TN, and the Tennessee Charter Schools Association back charter authorizer bill, reports the Tennessean and Nashville City Paper.
- VIDEO | Check out DFER's Joe Williams talking ed reform on KTVB in Idaho.
- Ed Reformers Speak Out About Silence on Parent Trigger in LA. (LA Weekly)
- DFER CA's School Board Score Cards get picked up in LA Schools Report, "District 4: Zimmer Responds to Bloomberg, Gets Mixed Grades."
- Joy Resmovits writes about Obama's Preschool Plan for the Huff Post. DFER's Barone weighs in.
- DFER's Reformer of the Month is LAUSD Board President Monica Garcia. Read more about Monica here.
- VIDEO | DFER WI's New Director Jason Fields gets a nod on Sunday Insight with Charlie Sykes (mention comes at 19 min, 6 sec).
- Romero writes about parents being arrested for “education theft” for the OC Register in “Old law gets parents arrested.”
- DFER's Grau writes, "Common Core Attracts Uncommon Set of Opponents in Hoosierland."
- "Education Reform Advocates Issue Statement of Support on Tennessee Authorizer Bill" (DFER TN)
- "DFER Launches TN Branch; Appoints Natasha Kamrani as State Director" (DFER Blog)
- “A good idea is a good idea regardless of which party it comes from,” says DFER WI staff.
- "DFER & ERNA Release Report Cards on LA Board of Ed Members" (DFER Blog)
- "State of the Union Puts Forth An Ambitious and Challenging Agenda For Obama 2.0," by Director of Policy, Charlie Barone.
- DFER's Chavous and Romero: “Secretary Duncan: Open Investigation on Residency Laws” (DFER Blog)
- Reminder: Don't forget that DFER now has the "I'm a DFER" Speakers Bureau. See here for more information.
In Related News:
- “Parents, Grandparents Take 'Education Theft' Fight to D.C," reports Ed Week.
- "Gov. Cuomo announces state-imposed teacher evaluation system for city schools by June 1," reports NY Daily News.
- Lopez pens, “Paying Teachers More, Within Budget.” (TFER)
- "Obama embraces NJ high quality preschool as model for the Nation," reports the Education Law Center.
- Omar Lopez writes the “Feedback loop-de-loop” for Teachers for Education Reform.
- VIDEO | From PBS NewsHour, "A Checklist to Keep Good Teachers in the Classroom."
Fun with Infographics & More:
- Infographic | A New Chapter for DFER
- Infographic | College Scorecard - DFER Style
- Infographic | New Trends in Charter Schools
Have a Great Weekend!