DFER News Round Up
February 7, 2013
DFER News Round Up
By Devin Boyle, Director of Communications
DFER Seen & Heard:
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, "Fields to lead Democratic school reform group."
- There is “Foot-dragging on school reform” in CA, writes Romero. (OC Register)
- Tom Vander Ark mentions DFER CO in “Smart Cities: Denver’s Advocates & Partnerships.”
- Doug Tuthill tells the HuffPost, 'Expanding Choice Is a Way to Help Level the Playing Field.'
- Forbes’ James Marshall Crotty writes about the launch of DFER’s new “I’m a DFER” Speakers Bureau.
- Charlie Barone gets a nod in AEI’s “What Uncle Sam can (and cannot) do to improve K-12 schooling: Lessons for the next four years.”
- MA State Director, Liam Kerr writes letter to The Boston Globe saying, “Demand exceeds supply in choice of school alternatives.”
- DFER gets a mention in GothamSchools article on Cuomo’s proposal of state takeover in NYC teacher evaluation impasse.
- WA’s charter school law reported as one of the best in the country. DFER’s Lisa Macfarlane weighs in. (The Herald)
- DFER CA’s Gloria Romero writes, “Rating districts on school choice.” (OC Register)
- Barone authors a 4-part blog series, “Reports of ESEA Reauthorization Death May Be Slightly Exaggerated.”
- “DFER Wisconsin Announces Former State Rep. Jason Fields as New State Director.” (Blog Post and Press Release)
- “Washington Moves From Laggard to Leader,” says DFER’s Macfarlane.
- WA’s Lisa Macfarlane tells readers, “It's time to think differently about school choice.”
- DFER announces launch of “I’m a DFER” Speakers Bureau.
- DFER’s Molly Thelosen was on the scene for National School Choice Week in Phoenix. Spoiler alert: the Jonas Brothers were also in attendance.
- It’s “National School Choice Week in Milwaukee,” writes Jason Fields, former WI State Rep.
- DFER’s Rebeca Nieves Huffman was “Keeping it real during National School Choice Week.”
- Gloria Romero pens “School Choice = Options.”
- From DFER MI’s Harrison Blackmond “Educational Emancipation.”
In Related News:
- TFER’s Omar Lopez says “Teachers <3 Digital Learning Day.”
- Ed Trust releases a new report: "A Step Forward or A Step Back? State Accountability in the Waiver Era."
- The Center for American Progress discusses “Using Teacher Evaluation Reform and Professional Development to Support Common Core Assessments.”
- Bill Gates tells CNN that we must grade our teachers to help our students.
- “Why National School Choice Week Matters to Teachers,” by Omar Lopez (TFER)
Fun with Infographics & More:
- Photos | Check out the pics from National School Choice Week in Milwaukee.
- Infographic | National School Choice Week By the Numbers
- Infographic | Teachers on the Run in NYC
Have a Great Weekend!